- This event has passed.
Theosophical Meditation – Part 1 & information page
January 12 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pmFree
Theosophy teaches a meditation practice that develops one’s own “self-induced & self-devised efforts,” an essential part of self-directed, responsible and fulfilling meditation.
Handouts for the series of three meetings are here:
Session 1 text for 12th January is here.
Session 2 text for 26th January is here.
Session 3 text for 9th February is here.
Recordings are now all available in the Audio library.
Read the handouts well, note their advice (all from original Theosophy) and you’ll find your way to a lifetime’s safe and rewarding practice.
The first session is a 90-minute introduction on theosophical meditation’s primary aim, union with the Higher Self, the unchanging Perceiver of all change.
The second shows that when meditation is practised along theosophical lines it can greatly aid in reaching progressive unity with the One Self; the integration of our being and removal of obscurations. These six simple forms of meditation lead to union with the inner deity:
- William Q. Judge’s Letter 4 on non-separateness & “The All”
- Samatha and Vipassana Buddhist Meditations
- Meditating on the Masters of Wisdom and great Sages
- Meditations on the Sun
- The Sacred Word “OM” & How To Use Mantras
- Symbols & Glyphs for Meditation
The third session contains guidance on
- perceptions that may arise during meditation; some do and don’ts
- the preliminary practices of “Dharana” attention and “Dhyana” contemplation
- Raj Yoga teachings on the use of physical postures
- the role of Will and Desire
- instructions from Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (Eight Limbs of Yoga)